WELCOME TO ROCKINGHAM CERAMICS STUDIO
Our studio is managed by Friends of Rockingham Arts Community Inc. (FoRAC), and run by a group of dedicated volunteers.
Our 2024 program commences on Saturday 13 January.
If you are a current ROCKINGHAM CERAMICS STUDIO / FoRAC MEMBER, please click on the MEMBERS LOGIN link on the menu bar to login and access our Membership Hub.
HAND BUILDING CLASSES
All classes run for 8 x 2.5 hour weekly lessons.
Fees include all clay, glazes, and firing, with use of studio tools and equipment.
Monday Mornings 10.00am – 12.30pm : 15 April – 3 June
Thursday Evenings 6.30 – 9.00pm : 18 April – 6 June
Saturday Afternoons 1.30 – 4.00pm : 20 April – 8 June
CREATE YOUR OWN CLASS
If you have 4 or more people interested in participating, please email email@example.com and include your phone number, so we can get in touch to offer a class schedule that suits you.
CLICK HERE IF YOU ARE READY TO REGISTER
With the assistance of funding from the City of Rockingham, we are able to offer more workshops in 2024. All of our workshops are open to the public, but please make sure to check the pre-requisites before registering.
All workshops are suitable for adults with basic handbuilding knowledge.
CLICK HERE IF YOU ARE READY TO REGISTER
COMING SOON …
WHEEL THROWING TEA POTS with Bernard Kerr (Sundays 6 & 13 October) $150
previous wheel throwing experience required.
IN THE WORKS …
~ PRINTING ON CLAY ~ RAKU ~ GETTING THE MOST OUT OF YOUR GLAZES
More information available soon.
MEMBERS ONLY PARTICIPATION OPTIONS
A Rockingham Ceramics Studio Membership is only $50 per year and will give you discounts and early notice for some classes & workshops, as well as eligibility to participate in the following options.
REGISTRATIONS OPENING SOON FOR TERM 2
ONLY $110 for 11 weeks
For members who have completed one of our Beginners Classes or have previous ceramics experience, including handbuilding and glazing.
Fees include 1 session per week, use of our equipment and glazes and firing of all work created in the studio.
Monday Evenings 6 – 9pm commencing 15 April
Tuesday Evenings 6 – 9pm commencing 16 April
Wednesday Mornings 9am – 12noon commencing 17 April
Saturday Mornings 9am – 12noon commencing 20 April
BRINGING IN WORK FROM HOME
Social group members can bring in up to 2 pieces of work from home each week.
If you are bringing items from home – please check in with your group coordinator and complete the work from home register before adding your work to the firing shelves.
If you anticipate having more than 2 pieces per week – please check out our Kiln Hire option below.
EARTHENWARE OR MIDFIRE GLAZING
Although we only fire Bisque (1000°) and Stoneware (1300°) as part of our weekly firing schedule, social group members can request an alternative firing temperature for work made in the studio.
Check with your fellow group members, or post on our facebook page to see if anyone else has work for the same firing temperature.
Give Bec a call on 0427 093 917 to confirm the firing temperature and schedule a time and date.
We can temporarily allocate a firing shelf for one week leading up to and one week after the scheduled firing.
For members who have previous Ceramics Experience or have completed one of our Beginners Classes, who are not able to make it to one of our social groups
FEES: $100 for a 10 week term (Term 1 Saturday 20 Jan – Wednesday 20 March)
Do all the creating and glazing at home.
Maximum of 8 pieces per fortnight (non cumulative) for 1 firing only. (bisque or stoneware glaze)
Unfortunately we are not able to accept registrations for homebodies if you are attending a social group in the same term.
In these circumstances, please look at kiln hire as an alternative.
For members who are already attending a social group and have extra work they want fired,
or members who can’t make it into the studio on a regular basis and want a lot of work fired at once.
TETLOW ELECTIC KILN
interior space 400 x 400 x 400mm
Bisque Firing 1000°C – $50
Earthenware Glaze Firing 1080°C – $50
Stoneware Glaze Firing 1300°C – $60
Alternative temperatures (below 1300°C) available on request – $60
- Our kiln hire is available for FoRAC / RCS members
- Our firing options are for clay / ceramics items only
- Please allow at least 2 weeks in advance – subject to availability – when requesting a booking.
- Please make sure you are available to assist in loading and unloading the kiln when confirming your booking times.
- Your work cannot be stored in the studio either prior to or after your scheduled firing.
- You will not at any time be required or able to operate, load or unload the kiln without a committee member present.
- Failure to collect your work at the designated time may incur an additional fee of $15 per day.
- If your work does not fill the kiln – no refund or discount will be offered.
- If your work exceeds the kiln space – our firing officer can recommend the best use of the space – but it will ultimately be your choice which items get fired
- When preparing for a glaze firing – it is your responsibility to ensure the following
- all your work is made from the correct clay and glaze for your firing choice
- all your work has at least 3mm space between the glaze and the base of the piece, or is sitting on stilts, or is sitting on a tile at least 10mm wider than the base of the piece.
- any work made from clay containing grit is sitting on a smooth tile
- You will be responsible for the cost of any damage to the kiln or kiln furniture as a result of your work.
- Payment details will be provided when a firing time has been agreed on.
- Full payment must be made at least 1 week before your scheduled firing date to confirm your booking.
If you are thinking about becoming a Rockingham Ceramics Studio Member, please have a look at our Terms & Conditions to find out a bit more about how we run things and to decide if we are a good fit for you.
If you would like to find out more about ROCKINGHAM CERAMICS STUDIO / FoRAC MEMBERSHIP please click on the NEW MEMBERSHIP link on the menu bar above.